Friday, July 29, 2011

Seersucker


 Tuesday night’s classic fried chicken at Seersucker claimed the throne as the best I’ve ever had. It was plump, moist and absolutely delicious, served with a tart and dilly coleslaw and next to a classic potato salad.  The pleasure I experienced wasn’t limited to the chicken and the whole evening was stellar.
 Seersucker, a 40-seat neighborhood spot inspired by the food and hospitality of the South, has received some great buzz and it was called “small, but brilliant” by Time.com and the  New York Times remarked, “It’s urbane, soft spoken and modern, the kind of place where actual residents of Chapel Hill, Nashville or Birmingham might go on a Saturday night.” I agree!
I was greeted with a friendly smile by a sweet server, who informed me that my friend was waiting at the bar. We were quickly brought to our table and handed the menus. Eager to order their well-known sampler platter of deviled eggs, fresh chips with pimento cheese, house made pickles and crudités, we were informed that that is no longer on the menu. Not to worry we were told, and we ordered the eggs and chips individually, in addition to a fried catfish appetizer. All was very good (though I must admit that I do prefer my own deviled eggs), but the catfish really stood out. And what’s even better is that they fish came with house made hot sauce, which was the perfect blend of sweet and spicy; a true winner!
Both of us thoroughly enjoyed our entrees, too, and my friend chose the Rib Eye, which was delicious, as was my chicken.  And while we were full, we couldn’t resist the bourbon, caramel, salted ice cream, served a top a fudgy, dense brownie.  
Another star on Smith Street, Seersucker will draw me back again for their Wednesday night special of fried chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment