Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Weekend Fun

Fast as a firework, the 4th of July came and went in a flash. It was a wonderful weekend filled with friends, food, festivities and spending time with my husband (pretty much all of my favorite things). And to set the tone… it began with the welcomed news that the work on our kitchen was finally done!
To kick it off, I enjoyed a short work day on Friday and was more than pleased when told to leave “earlier than early” (we technically closed at 3 p.m.) and scooted out around 12:30 p.m. I spent the afternoon with Rob, getting the apartment in order (now that the contractor’s stuff is gone – Woo hoo!), tidying up and making our home. Following that, we headed to our local Beekman Beer Garden, located at the South Street Seaport/Pier 17 and met up with some friends. One beer turned into a few and before we knew it, we were headed to get dinner at local haunt, and popular New Zeland bar, Nelson Blue.  Knowing that it would be a busy one, I sent myself home around 10 p.m. while the remainder of the group stayed out for karaoke at Baby Grand until well past 2.
I woke up bright and early on Saturday and was eager to head to Citi Field for the Yankees/Mets game.
We arrived with plenty of time to explore the facilities, tailgate (we were meeting Rob’s sister and her in-laws for the game) and have some delicious ball park food.
As I’d been told, it’s a very nice stadium – welcoming, inclusive and warm – which is a bit of a departure from the sterile, hierarchical, but beautiful Yankees stadium. I can certainly see why fans of all sorts prefer Citi Field, but that said, I still like Yankee Stadium best. We roamed around for much of the game, saw some great plays and got to see a Yankee win to boot! After a long day in the sun, we were happy to hop the LIRR home and have a nice, relaxing evening.
Sunday we woke up to thunder and rain –not what we were hoping for when planning to attend an outside BBQ at Aunt Donna and Uncle Michael’s house. As a result, they postponed the picnic, and subsequently, we spent a half day lounging around the apartment and enjoying having nothing to do.  When we finally rallied, we drove to Americana Manhasset in LI to do some shopping and got a few much needed things from Create & Barrel (and it only cost $9, as we had 2 gift cards!). After that, we met friends Annie and Mike for dinner at my favorite burger place, BLT Burger, where I had not only apps, a cheese burger, sweet potato fries, but also a banana split! It was a delicious meal and the restaurant was pleasantly quiet during the holiday weekend.
To work off dinner, we strolled over to BowlMor and enjoyed a few sets. Shockingly, I bowled my best game EVER and for the first time in 29 years, actually broke 100.

Monday was a warm, but nice day and we walked began the morning with a nice breakfast, which was the first real meal that I'd made in the new kitchen.
We then walked the new part of the Highline and went to the Colicchio & Sons beer garden with our friend Joe. 
After that, we then headed to Annie and Mike’s, where we convened and walked to the park in Tribeca for an alfresco dinner, while we awaited the Macy’s Fireworks Spectacular! It truly was a sight to see and we had a great view, despite being so far downtown.
It’s back to the grind today and I’m having a hard time getting my head into the game. Already excited for the weekend to come and fortunately, have a jump start on the week already, as I keep reminding myself that it’s not Monday, which is lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment