Friday, July 22, 2011

Fulton Market CSA


While out of town, a friend graciously let me pick up his weekly CSA; and Wednesday evening, I happily walked home with two bags of freshly harvested produce. 
For your background, the Fulton Market CSA, or  Community Supported Agriculture, “connects New Yorkers who live and work in Battery Park, The Financial District, and The South Street Seaport area with fresh vegetables, fruits and other goods (eggs, milk, cheese, honey and meat) directly from upstate New York farmers.  Members purchase shares upfront, and each week during the harvest season (June-November), the farmer brings that week’s harvest to us in our neighborhood.”
The CSA is set up as self-serve and each basket of veggies has a sign which instructs you to how much each shareholder is allotted.  I quickly went through and weighed out my pound of zucchini, ¾ pound of broccoli, pound of beets, 3 peppers, and so on. 
I arrived home and inspected my wares, admiring the beauty and freshness of the produce. In fact, the produce was so fresh, I even found a little friend, who came along for the ride!
I am seriously considering purchasing a share of my own for next year as it’s a great way to support local farmers, get some great, fresh produce and experiment in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment