Friday, June 3, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

It’s been a while since the last post, as work’s been absolutely nuts. But now that things have slowed down a bit, I’m back to blogging! As I left off on a low note, I wanted to provide an update and am more than happy to report that last weekend was lovely and absolutely exceeded my expectations.
As planned, we arrived in Port Jervis just in time to get a hot dog at the locally famous, Texas Lunch. Rob, a Texas Lunch virgin, got to try the uniqueness that can only be their hotdogs and he enjoyed it (not as much as I, though). Using a generic dog, they cover it in mustard, raw onion and their secret sauce. What comprises this sauce is beyond me, but it’s a brown gravy with some ground meat, garlic (which we learned when Rob pulled a hefty chunk out of it) and spices. It’s a unique flavor and totally nostalgic for me, as I’ve eaten then for as long as I can remember.  I limited myself to only one dog, as I knew we would be eating the other Port Jervis delicacy soon, Len & Jo’s Pizza (no site). Another unique eat, this pizza is made in an ancient rectangular pan, has a crispy yet doughy crust and is yeasty, with a sourdough or beer note to it. 

But before we headed there (where the family reunion was being held) we took a stroll down Front Street and hit up some antique shops (with no luck). While I know that Port is a small town, with very little foot traffic, I was taken aback with the lack of people around. Front Street was a ghost town and we were the only people on the street at most times (with the exception of a few who were going in and out of the one coffee shop). It made me pause, as I often do, and acknowledge how lucky I am to live where I do.
As we were on a schedule, apprehensively, we headed to the restaurant, where I was to see a lot of family I hadn’t in a while. My stomach was in knots and I had a lump in my throat; I had no idea what to expect. Well, as soon as we walked into the place, I was greeted with smiles, bear hugs and a great, positive vibe. I was immediately relieved and thought that the weekend wasn’t going to be as bad as anticipated. And I was right. It was great to see the cousins, aunts, uncles and friends and nice to catch-up.  

We spent the rest of the weekend hanging with the family, reminiscing about old times and chillin’ at grandma’s house. We grandkids were sad to say good bye to the house, but most of all, the shag carpet, which we’ve always loved for its kitsch and datedness. I also had the opportunity to go through some old things I’ve been storing in the attic, including the 30 year old Fischer-Price house that received many years of play and love.  

Overall, this weekend taught me that I needn’t dread things and expect the worst. While I do it often (it’s a defense mechanism), 99% of the time I am happily proven wrong, but I just can’t seem to break the habit. I’m working on it, though, so by the time the next family reunion rolls around, I should be eager and excited for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment