Saturday, September 10, 2011

Parked! South Street Seaport


A few weeks back, I had perky ears upon hearing of an impending food truck festival, right in my ‘hood, at the South Street Seaport.  Parked! – a gathering of food trucks from around the city – boasted more than 25 food vendors all in one convenient location and boy, was I excited.
We arrived relatively early on a bright, sunny Saturday and I was immediately overwhelmed with the choices. There was a little something for everyone and options ranged from burgers to waffles to schnitzel and beyond. 
As I already checked out the participants prior to arriving, I had a plan in mind and headed right for Red Hook Lobster Pound. I had heard great things about their lobster roll and was eager to make a judgment.  It certainly didn’t disappoint and they large chunks of claw meat were lightly dressed in mayo, tender and delicious. Some chips and a root-beer were the perfect compliments. 



After a post-meal stroll, I was ready for more and enjoyed a simple scoop of strawberry ice cream from Van Leeuwens, while Rob got a slush from Kelvin. 

It was really nice to see all the trucks in one location and further illustrated how the food truck craze has taken hold. I particularly enjoyed the truck art and branding/marketing that went into each. It’s clear to see how some have fully embraced this venture and how some have merely jumped on the bandwagon, trying to make a quick buck from the trend. 







No comments:

Post a Comment