Thursday, August 11, 2011

Purslane

Great treats from last night’s CSA!
In addition to the staples, like cucumbers, beets and tomatoes, I got a new veggie, which I’d never heard of, purslane.
After looking it up on the trusty Wikipedia, I learned, “although purslane is considered a weed in the United States, it can be eaten as a leaf vegetable. It has a slightly sour and salty taste and is eaten throughout much of Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and Mexico. The stems, leaves and flower buds are all edible. Purslane can be used fresh as a salad, stir-fried, or cooked like spinach, and because of its mucilaginous quality it is also suitable for soups and stews.”
While I don’t yet know if it’s good (tasting), it is good for you and I learned that purslane contains more omega-3 fatty acids than any other leafy vegetable plant, in addition to other nutrients found in leafy greens.
I think I shall try something with it tonight and will report on the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment